The key elements of the Home Instead Senior Care network's Returning Home? Program that can be easily implemented by its CAREGiversSM include:
- Discharge coordination and execution — which involves conducting an initial meeting with hospital discharge planning staff to develop a detailed plan of care and instructions that will be used by the CAREGiverSM.
- Medication management — which involves organizing and tracking pills and other medications to make sure that they are taken as directed and to prevent adverse effects.
- Follow-up physician visit assistance — which involves making sure the senior keeps track of and attends follow-up medical appointments including providing or arranging for transportation.
- Nutrition management — which involves meal planning, shopping and preparation to ensure that seniors are getting wholesome healthy foods and plenty of hydration that will assist them with recovery.
- Warning sign monitoring and notification — which involves CAREGiversSM becoming familiar with the warning signs and taking appropriate action in a timely manner.
Utilizing these Home Instead CAREGiverSM services as part of a returning home program can mean better recovery outcomes for seniors who have been discharged from a medical facility with fewer readmissions and savings in both dollars and stress for them and their loved ones.